French-language Newspapers and Journals in Indochina

While strolling through L'Indo-Chine (1906) edited by Ferrière, Garros, Meynard and Raquez, I found adverts of L'Avenir du Tonkin and Le Courrier saigonnai. They are quite interesting as reflecting the colonial-lobby objectives of these French language newspapers.

I recall having read that Jules Boissière was collaborator of L'Avenir du Tonkin, although when I went through the newspaper in the beautiful but not practical Bibliothèque Ste-Geneviève in Paris, I couldn't find his columns.

I think about Boissière because I am now reading his L'Indo-chine avec les Français, a collection of unpublished essays posthumously published probably by the effort of the circle of the Français d'Asie, spearheaded  by Albert de Pouvourville (whose name is mentioned in the advert of L'Avenir du Tonkin above) and Jean Ajalbert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Travel Writings on Indochina

I've been collecting a collection of travel writings on Indochina at the fin de siècle: Morice Docteur, 'Voyage en Cochinchine',...